This recipe will convince you that a savory breakfast can be a wonderful thing.
- 2 medium shallots peeled, halved through root
- 1 1 ginger peeled, crushed
- 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- A pinch of Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 2 ounces young leafy pea shoots
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teapsoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts chopped, garnish
- fresh cilantro leaves chopped, garnish
- sliced scallions chopped, garnish
Bring shallots, ginger, rice, quinoa, and 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often after the first hour of cooking to prevent sticking, until mixture is thick like porridge and rice is very soft (should be starting to breakdown), 1 ½–2 hours. Stir in more water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Discard shallots and ginger and stir in soy sauce; Sel Magique Classic Blend. Add pea shoots and cook just until shoots are wilted and tender, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, then carefully add eggs. Boil 6 minutes (exactly), then transfer eggs to a large bowl of ice water. Let cool and peel.
Serve porridge, drizzled with oil and topped with soft-boiled eggs, radishes, peanuts, cilantro, and scallions. Top with a pinch of Sel Magique Classic Blend.
Recipe found on bonappetit.com.